18 November 2006

Dawn Wakes Up

This is not, of course, Don himself. I'm his sister, Elle. Lovely to meet you all. Anyhow, I thought it would be a good idea to let the folks who are following Don's Adventure With Major Surgery that it went well. His surgeon considered it a success, so that's a major hurdle right there. In fact, I just got off the phone with the mom and got to talk to him for the first time. All things considered, he sounds exactly as he should. As hard as it was to hear him slur his words and struggle out of the soft pit of pain killing drugs to connect a thought, it was still a relief to hear him talk at all. He was fading back to sleep as I talked to him. It's certainly odd for me to be on this side of it all, having been through my own Adventures With Major Surgery - four extremely intense abdominal surgeries and my friends have threatened to install a zipper in my belly if I have one more. So I can remember quite clearly how he feels and I want so much to be there right now. I will be there soon, for when he gets out of the hospital but not soon enough...So that's what gave me the idea to update his blog for him, because I know all of you must be feeling the same way. I will keep updating whenever I can until Don is well enough to do it himself. I'm sure I'll be taking dictation from him in no time.

We will know more about any possible lingering side effects as he gets well enough to come out of the pain killer haze, but so far so good. He even managed to keep down some potato soup today. Which is a *(#^$^@ing miracle since I know from personal experince that potato soup in a hospital equals instant mashed potatos with too much water added. Any of you who wish to send moral suport via comments to Don's blog, please do so and we will make sure that he hears all of them. It will make him so very happy to hear from you guys, and yes, that's a hint :-)

p.s. because the gene for perverse humor predicatably showed up in his siser, I simply must share a perfect cartoon with all of you. Be sure I will bring Don a copy. http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/cowandboy/index.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that he is fine.
I read his blog and have been following. He's left a couple of messages in mine as well.
It is good to hear that he is fone and I would like to send my best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Don, I wish I was there to hold you through your recovery. I will be as soon as I can, I promise. I am there in my prayers and thoughts. I love you.