12 December 2006

Untethering

Epilogue


When you walk, Stride
Go as if there were a miracle unfurling before you
as if the Last Oasis lay waiting
and you have known only Desert.

Create new Ceremonies to entreat wonder.
Listen for the growing aria of that which lies waiting, wordless within you.

- D.C. McKenzie
excerpt from 'The Quiddity of Surprise'


It remains to be seen, every day, sometimes each moment, how we will react to an ever-changing world. I have heard it said that the difference between the right choice and the wrong one is a breath and two heartbeats.
How we keep to our vows should be a measure of our humanity. If we found a way to hold to the vows whispered into our tear-soaked pillows, vows shouted at riot cops, and vows promised to heaven, then we could stop the blight of famine and the terror of war. We could end rape. We could jail politicians who pillage and talking heads that terrorize. We could stop beating our wives and children.
We could slow the feathery, galloping-horse heartbeats of uncounted homeless ghostpeople.
We could make empathy mandatory.
We could drag fear into the light and watch it burn.
We could surrender.

I did not walk out of the hospital, ‘tis true, I rolled. I left with Michael and Gayle on the 29th of November, after a flurry of paperwork and Physical Therapy tests to prove that I was safe to transition from my wheels to the toilet, the car, the plane, the bed…I had to promise them, as they were getting to know me by now, that I would Not do any wheelchair to dumpster or cop car transitions. I have mentioned this already, but it is important: Pain Management, Physical Therapy, Walking, Running…Striding—These are not to be trifled with.
I had to surrender to their process; I have to believe it will work.
All of us rode a terrible, god-awful gauntlet in Miami, and we were happy to leave the field.
There was some snow when I got home and the Ravens have come out of the hills for Dumpster Season. I am home in the 80-degree apartment, surrounded by snow and ice; a dichotomy I deeply cherish.

I stay busy by walking in small circles, complaining, exercising, and getting better by the hour. [bitching and moaning, pacing, healing, and writing to you, Dear Reader, with this lovely gift of a new Whip…Oh, how it gleams in the dark, my Mac…my, my Precious.]

And while it is true that I am getting my strength back, it is a shaky, desperate strength…not backed up with the hidden reserves I once had. This will come in time.
On Patience: Sun-Tzu once said that if you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.
I am not exactly sure what that means to us now, but if my lost life will float by I'll wait by the river as long as you want, old man.

It’s a funny paradox, one that I still don't understand all of— but I had to surrender to pain and fear to finally make a friend of them. I had to clutch them close and stop wrestling, pinned down and smelling my own fearsweat, to finally accept something bigger than myself. It didn’t happen until I was home, alone in my apartment:

The enormity of all that had passed...surgery and epiphanies, all...just ground me into the floor and flayed me into wet dust. It held me down like so many of the bullies in my youth, vicious little bastards like Billy Bivens and Kurt Rosdell and Brady Miller’s asshole older brother, whose name I have burned out of my mind.

Truly alone for the first time in weeks all I could do was take my beating and weep. Yet to my sweet surprise it didn’t hurt all that much. I suddenly realized that I could grin at the pain bully and take its worst. You cannot hurt dust anyway. Dust floats, it swirls when one strikes at it. I will be as dust when pain comes. I can even be cosmic dust. Dust doesn’t keep score. It plays.
Tempered on Fear’s own anvil, I have been taught what can happen to a soul who loses hold of empathy, as I once did.

The Howler broke my heart on the rack
and nothing can really hurt me now, unless I let it.
And let’s face it, some things just have to hurt.
Superman or Green Lantern aint got nothing on me.

-End Transmission-
-Break Break-
Dawn McKenzie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello there...
I am back, been reading a bit once again. Cool that you are back home as I feel that a familiar environment will always help with the recovery.

I shall log on soon and continue reading and wishing you a speedy recovery and progress.

Happy New Year by the way.